Thursday, January 12, 2012

You say you want a resolution?


Happy belated New Year, everyone.  I'm a little late to the 2012 blogging game (typical), which is a nice segway into the theme of this post: New Year's Resolutions.

I read a similar-minded post from Geneva on A Pair and A Spare which was helpful in narrowing down the countless ways for self-improvement (and is a much better source than the U.S. government).  Rather than harp on the qualities or effort that you lack, she advises that we select abstract goals to carry out in our actions--i.e. "to live, to love, to learn"--kind of like mad libs.  Noticeably, she timely blogged this on NYE, not 12 days into the game.  Overachiever.

So, without further ado, my resolutions:

  • To be more punctual.  (Note: It's not possible to be more of something when you never had it to begin with.)
  • To love my job...once I get one.
  • To learn to play my new ukulele.
  • To live a healthier, fitter lifestyle.  This can be cross-referenced with "To slow my roll with canned soup."
  • To communicate more with friends and family who don't live nearby.
  • To commit to side projects.  And flossing.
  • To read books that are not about Norwegian serial killers, hypothetical conversations, hunger, or games.
  • To maintain my Spanish.  (Hey, it's not all about change, you know.)

With all these lofty aspirations in mind, you'd think I'd have learned something in these fledgling two weeks of 2012.  That I would already be on my way to becoming a better person.  A Real Adult.  But no, last night I decided to watch the 1 a.m. cave episode of Planet Earth for the umpteenth time and didn't fall asleep for at least two additional hours because I was certain that 8-inch Malaysian grotto centipedes would crawl through my ears and eat my brain.

They'd probably still be hungry.

image via Creatures of Snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment