Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Baking frenzied

It's the same thing every year.  I get all geared up for Christmas--write out shopping lists in October, purchase in November, wrap on Thanksgiving, begin decorating December 1st--so that now I'm already feeling as derailed as the Cain Train.

I'm probably too ambitious (somewhere, my grade school teachers share a laugh), insisting that all cookies be made from scratch, the icing be done meticulously by hand, and everything wrapped in satin ribbon and acid-free cellophane.  So when my mom asked me to ghost bake for a few events she'd be attending, my smug ass thought I'd be all fancy.  Gingerbread reindeer (amazing recipe), linzer shortbread, flourless chocolate cookies, and peppermint meringues for days.

Sure, it's fun adding the first three or so red noses while listening to A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, but by cookie 26, you're blasting Foo Fighters, ready to take a gun to a real Rudolph.  You'd think I would learn from my mistakes year after year, but here I am less than two weeks away from Christmas, already too tired (and buttery) to type.

Still...totally worth it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment