Tuesday, October 11, 2011

DIY hair ties

As I've mentioned before, a lot of my projects revolve around overpriced items that I either can't or won't purchase.  These elastic hair ties from Shopbop are the perfect example.  They're comfortable, stretchy, and don't mark or break my hair.  And for $45, I can receive 18 elastic scraps, at $2.50 per piece.  Oh, but they "can also be worn as bracelets!"  Talk about multitasking!  You can take my money AND patronize me too!  Shopbop, I thought that we were friends.

Sephora sells a similar set at $8 for 8, but I've got them all beat at around $0.13 per incredibly easy-to-make tie.



What you need:
  • A few yards of fold-over elastic band, 3/4 - 1" thick (any fabric store will carry this, but I got mine here)
  • Ruler
  • Scissors

    Measure and cut the elastic in 8-10" increments, depending on the thickness of your hair.  Mine is lamentably on the thinner side, so I can get roughly 3 loops around my ponytail from an 8" tie.  Experiment to see what works for you.


    Fold your now cut elastic in half and make a loop. 

    Pull the ends through the loop to form a simple knot, leaving approximately a 1" tail.

    Tighten the knot and repeat all of the steps with the leftover elastic.

    Never be without overpriced hair ties again.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment