Monday, October 3, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Bread


Fall has been playing hard to get for the past few weeks, and even though it's my favorite season, I'm getting a little tired of the games.  After alternating wool sweaters and denim cutoffs in one week alone, I decided to force Mother Nature's hand with this cinnamon raisin bread recipe from the Kitchn.  The smell of baking cinnamon is fall.

But of course, Mother Nature got the last laugh.  She always does.  Just as the loaves were rolled up and rising, a storm began and the power went out.  You see, I was visiting my KitchenAid mixer parents in suburban Maryland, where electricity is disrupted by light rain or say, a sneeze.  By the time the lights came back on a little past midnight, the loaves had overproofed, puffed up like the Michelin Man over the sides of the pans.  I did my best to carefully nudge them back into shape before rushing them into the oven...only for the power to go out again, halfway through baking.


As a result, the bread tops got too much heat and were a little darker than I'd like (I'm choosing to blame Pepco for this).  And then I didn't take photos of it until the loaves were more than halfway eaten (again, not my fault.  Pepco.), which is extremely upsetting because looks are the most important thing.  Remember that, impressionable children.

But what's on the inside supposedly counts too, and the inside happened to be delicious fluffy white bread, loaded with moist raisins and molten cinnamon sugar.  Which is important too.  I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment