Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Madeleines


For someone who doesn't love to cook and who absolutely mega-loathes baking, my mom owns practically every culinary gadget found in Crate & Barrel's impulse aisle.  There's a professional mixer, springform pans, canning jars, silpats, food processors, juicers, an avocado slicer, a strawberry huller, an immersion blender, milk frothers (as in, more than one), tart shells, mini cupcake tins, jumbo cupcake tins--I could go on, but won't since I'm already rambling.

So while I was home this past week and my mom asked me to make something for a tea luncheon, I noticed a madeleine pan lurking in a back cupboard.  And since I was feeling French and spontaneous that day,

Striped boatneck = French. Jumping = spontaneous.

I decided to make the madeleines for the first time. I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but didn't experience the same problems she seemed to have. Mine developed the signature hump easily, which I attribute to David Lebovitz's tip of freezing the pan prior to baking. In fact, it was so simple and filled the house with such a delicious buttery lemon scent, that I will be making these again soon.


Tender and dense, but with a bigger crumb than I wanted.  I might try cake flour next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment