Friday, January 27, 2012

V-Day prep


As someone who gets sucked into the hype of everything from Top Chef to barre-pilates, it's pretty surprising that I'm not big on the ultimate hype machine: Valentine's Day.   Sure, I like chocolate (dark), flowers (ranunculus), and champagne (dry), but I also like dinosaurs (Apatosaurus) and waterfront property (coastal), and those aren't coming anytime soon.


Valentine's Day is just an overload of excess: too much pressure, too much emoting, too much energy.  So my short-term memory isn't so hot anymore--I still don't need a reminder to love my special someone.

Even on the years that I've had plans, I've shied away from the restaurant scene where couples play a game of chicken with reservations and as to who's more in love.  I may have even tried to fake sick one time.  Cough, cough.
What can I say?  I like to play fast and loose with February 14th.   You know, a DVD (ladies' choice, obviously) and some take-out.

To take lemons and squirt them onto open wounds, for the past few years I've relived my elementary school days and made cards for my perennial Valentines: my friends.  I used my inkjet printer from college and some scalloped cardstock from Paper Source.  Some had quotes from TV sitcoms, some were original, and a few were from the better scenes in When Harry Met Sally.


I plan on keeping the tradition alive this year with a few new designs.
Some past ones:
Click to enlarge.

They're admittedly hostile looking--almost like ransom notes--but I put a lot of love thought into making them.  Of course, if you're going to send something from the heart, it helps to have one.

graphics via MH Jeeves and Kate Spade.

No comments:

Post a Comment