Friday, August 5, 2011

iRead

I don't really understand the whole e-reader fanfare.  I love books: collecting them on a shelf, dogearring the pages, and yes, sometimes toting them around in my giant purse.  So when my brother suggested that we buy my mom a Nook last Christmas instead of a nice collection of hardbacks, I reluctantly caved.

Behold--the face of Kindle smugness!

For some people, books are the equivalent of socks and underwear as gifts, but for me, they're something I love to give and receive (dirty bird).  I can spend hours adding to my shopping cart on Amazon and just as much time whittling down my selections to a reasonable total.  Which is how I got turned onto Simon Rich's "Ant Farm: And Other Desperate Situations," two holiday seasons ago.

Rich, a Harvard grad and former president of the Harvard Lampoon, develops random situations into hilarious, 2-3 page "what if" scenarios.  The whole thing takes about 15 minutes to read, which is perfect for bathtime, Metro commutes, and, say, when you should be applying for jobs instead of blogging and half-watching House of Payne because you're too lazy to find the remote.  (How is it the number one sitcom telecast of all time?  Seriously, the people want answers.)


Here's an excerpt from the book, the first vignette--and my favorite--The Ride Back to Beersheba:*


Click to enlarge.

*
All images via Google Books. Simon says, "See you in court."

No comments:

Post a Comment